Saturday, June 18, 2011

INTERESTING MOMENT CAPTURED ON PHOTO

EUSEBIO ERNEST "DUTCH" METOYER (L)
LUCILLE MARIE METOYER PHILLIPS (C)
AND THOMAS PHILLIPS (R)


An interesting moment was captures many years ago as the Metoyer and Philips family gathered for what appeared to be an introduction of one another.  I was shown this pictures several years ago while interviewing my mother about various ones in the family.   And at that time, I became curious at how things use to be back when someone was about to become part of the family.  It was a custom that whenever someone was serious about another (courting as they called it back then), they would be introduced to the family elder out of respect.  This was also a way of getting to know one and other.  I assume uncle Donald, my mother’s brother was taking this picture. He had brought his dad over to be introduced to Aunt Lucille's father - Eusebio Metoyer.  Many years late I found out everyone referred to his as "Dutch". I wonder about this nickname and am looking into it's origin.   This was my first time becoming aware of Aunt Lucille's extended family.  I have never seen a picture of her mother whom I was told died in 1976.  I don't remember if my mother knew anything else about Mr. Metoyer or his family,  so this left lots of unanswered questions that I hope to one day discover as  my research journey discovering the family history and various connections through actual documents.  Here are a few that I come across.
Birth Record:
 I have found, Eusebio Ernest Metoyer was according to the Wisconsin Births and Christenings, index 1826-1926, the son of Arnold Metoyer and Virginia Fernandez.  Eusebio was listed as having been born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 22 Oct 1904.
Census Record:
Looking at yet another document (1905 census record in Wisconsin),  I found where his father was listed as Ernest Arnold Metoyer and mother listed as Virginia METOYER.  There were two children listed, Arnold Metoyer age 2 years and Eusebio Ernest Metoyer listed as 8 months old.   Now what puzzled me was why was Eusebio Ernest METOYER born in Wisconsin? When did the family move there?  How long did the family stay in Wisconsin? and when did the family move  back to New Orleans, Louisiana
Marriage Record:
From yet  another documents, one being that of a marriage record, I discovered that Eusebio Ernest Metoyer was married to Doris Elodie DOUBLET on 25 Jun 1927. Their marriage was celebrated in the city of New Orleans, La. by Rev. Father J.J. Callery.  This document also confirmed the fact that Eusebio Ernest METOYER age 22 at this time was indeed a native of Milwaukee, Wis and the son of Arnold METOYER and Virginia Fernandez.  The document showed his wife Doris Elodie Doublet as being 19 years old at the time of their marriage and a native of New Orleans Louisiana.  She was the daugher of Anthony Doublet  and Emily Adams.  It further stated that the celebration of marriage was performed in the presence of the witnesses- Anthony Doublet, Hilda Metoyer, Claude Doublet.  The license was issued on 23rd day of June 1927 by the Hon F. Henry Lawize, Deputy Recorder - Birth, Marriage and Death in the presence of the witnesses Angelo Kingvalsky and Beulah Doublet.
World War I Draft Registration Card:
Searching for other clues as to when the Metoyer family were found in New Orleans, La. I discovered the World War I draft registration card of  Eusebio Arnold Metoyer, the father of Eusebio Ernest Metoyer.  It listed his address as of April 12, 1918 as residing at 2106 St Phillips, New Orleans, La.   His age was 37 and his birth was listed as 26 October 1880.  several other interesting facts also discovered  listed him  as having been born in Mexico.  His occupation was that of a Musician and he was employed at the West End Tavern, in New Orleans, La.  His nearest relative was listed as Virginia METOYER, his mother.  Her address was the same as his above - 2106 St Phillips St, New Orleans.  His physical description listed him as Height- medium, Eyes -Brown and  Hair- Black.
The World War I Draft Registration Card  provided some interesting facts that should help me to trace through yet another generation.  As noted  was the birth information of Eusebio Arnold Metoyer,  26 Mar 1880,  his place of birth, Mexico and  his occupation as of 1918, a Musician.  Lets see what other documents that might be discovered to help confirm these facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment