Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mom! Why Is Your Mother's Surname Spelled Mathieu?

Nellie MATHIEU
1899 -  1936

   When I began my family's ancestral history research, there were many questions that needed answers.  One in particular was after noticing the spelling of my maternal grandmother's surname, Mathieu.  Curious to know why was it spelled MATHIEU in stead of the English version MATTHEW, I asked my mother and discovered a few things.

      Nellie Mathieu, my grandmother, was born in St. John the Baptist Parish about 1899.  Beautiful and kinda reminds me of my younger sister Jane, Nellie was the daughter of Charles Gratin MATHIEU and Georgiana LEGAUX.  Not much was know of her earlier life  by my mother because, Nellie died  3 June 1936 when my mother was only six years old.  It was then, that I realized how fortunate I was to have my mother still with me.  For some reason, I just knew I had to learn as much as I could about the family, and my mother would play an important role in helping me connect to our family's past.

      I had so many questions and knew if I were to find answers, I would need to look for them.  Up for that challenge, I set out to learn all that I could about my French Creole Ancestry in Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment